Hey! This site is reader-supported and we earn commissions if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
This article will provide you with all the possible reasons as to why your Kobalt air compressor will not shut down, and Kobalt air compressor troubleshooting tips to help you resolve this issue, along with existing reader problems & responses.
Table of Contents
- Reasons Kobalt Air Compressor Won’t Shut Off
- Additional Troubleshooting Pages
- Reader Questions & Responses
Reasons Kobalt Air Compressor Won’t Shut Off
Here are some of the most common reasons why your Kobalt air compressor won’t shut off, along with some tips:
You must confirm whether or not there is an air leak in your Kobalt compressor system by listening for hissing sounds around the whole system or looking for holes on the side of the tank.
Broken Air Gauges
A broken air gauge is another common problem that could cause the Kobalt air compressor to not turn off. If it was working properly, the pressure gauge will steadily rise until it reaches the compressor’s cut-out setting, causing the compressor to shut off.
It’s possible that your Kobalt compressed air system’s filters have become clogged, which will affect airflow and lead to your Kobalt air compressor not shutting down.
If the pressure inside your tank rises but then stops before it reaches the set cut-out pressure, but your compressor motor continues to run, then it is more than likely that you have a problem with the compressor pump itself.
Pressure Relief Valve Failure
If the PRV gets stuck closed, worst case the tank could eventually explode. The PRV could also become stuck open, preventing the tank from being able to reach its cut-out pressure.
Pressure Switch Problems
It could be that you have a faulty pressure switch that is not switching when the cut-out pressure is reached. Therefore, you will need to replace this.
Underpowered Extension Cord
An extension cord may hamper your Kobalt air compressor’s performance, blocking it from being able to reach the cut-out pressure and thus causing the air compressor to not shut off.
Please visit our Air Compressor Won’t Turn Off – Fixing A Compressor That Won’t Stop Running for far more detailed information on this topic!
Additional Troubleshooting Pages
Air Compressor Types Troubleshooting
- Centrifugal Air Compressor Troubleshooting
- Rotary Vane Air Compressor Troubleshooting
- Rotary Screw Air Compressor Troubleshooting
- Reciprocating Air Compressor Troubleshooting
- Scroll Air Compressor Troubleshooting
Air Compressor Brand Specific Troubleshooting
- Atlas Copco Air Compressor Troubleshooting
- Deutz Diesel Engine Starting Problems Troubleshooting
- Kaeser Air Compressor Troubleshooting
- Kobalt Air Compressor Troubleshooting
- Speedaire Air Compressor Troubleshooting
Air Compressor Brand/Problem Specific Troubleshooting
- Atlas Copco Compressor Fault Codes
- Atlas Copco Air Compressor Will Not Stay Running
- Bostitch Air Compressor Won’t Build Pressure
- Campbell Hausfeld Air Compressor Not Building Pressure
- Central Pneumatic Air Compressor Will Not Stay Running
- Central Pneumatic Air Compressor Won’t Build Pressure
- Craftsman Air Compressor Not Building Pressure
- DeWalt Air Compressor Not Building Pressure
- DeWalt Air Compressor Won’t Shut Off
- Husky Air Compressor Will Not Shut Off
- Husky Air Compressor Won’t Build Pressure
- Ingersoll Rand Compressor Fault Codes
- Ingersoll Rand Air Compressor Won’t Restart
- Kaeser Compressor Fault Codes
- Porter Cable Air Compressor Won’t Build Pressure
- Sullair Air Compressor Won’t Start
Air Compressor Part Specific Troubleshooting
- Air Compressor Troubleshooting, Solutions, Common Problems & Causes
- Air Compressor Check Valve Troubleshooting
- Air Compressor Electrical Troubleshooting
- Air Compressor Pressure Regulator Troubleshooting
- Air Compressor Pressure Switch Troubleshooting
- Air Compressor Reed Valve Troubleshooting
- Air Compressor Smells Like It’s Burning? Troubleshooting Compressor Burning Smell
Reader Questions & Responses
Kobalt Air Compressor Won’t Shut Off – Troubleshooting Kobalt Air Compressor
Kobalt 8 gallon air compressor won’t shut off when it reaches 150 psi
When the tank pressure reaches 150 psi, the unit is supposed to power off. It does not.
Instead, the pressure release valve releases the pressure, and the unit stays on. This happens over and over.
I replaced the pressure switch, but nothing changed.
Try removing one and then the other wire from the pressure switch. Make sure the wire can’t touch anything. Plug it in, turn it “on”. Does it run?
Please let us know.
My compressor does the exact same thing. I replaced the switch and same problem. I unplugged one of the wires, and yes it powers off.
Please let me know ASAP. Thank you.
If you’ve already replaced the pressure switch, and it still doesn’t turn off, then either they are sending the wrong part, or the PRV is bad and letting go too soon, before the tank pressure reaches the proper cut-out setting.
Are there markings on the switch? Is the pressure actually going over 150, like 160 or so, before the PRV lets go?
If the pressure is going high, then all I can tell you is to complain to the part source. What you are getting is either the wrong part or a defective one.
If you have any questions regarding Kobalt air compressors not shutting off, please leave a comment below with a photo if applicable so that someone can help you!