Hey! This site is reader-supported and we earn commissions if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
With society now largely focusing on ways to help the environment, oil-free air compressors are becoming increasingly popular.
Otherwise, known as oil-less air compressors, these air compressors are designed to exclude oil from their operation. Burning oil is bad for the environment, so instead these air compressors get their lubrication from elsewhere.
But, finding the best oil-free air compressor can be rather intimidating. These air compressors have been around for a long time, but it is only recently that they have become very popular. Oil-free models are perfect for air compressor for Cleaning PC.
Due to this, it is hard to find the best. But worry not, in this guide, we’ll be telling you everything you need to know about the 10 best oil-free air compressors on the market. So, let’s jump right in.
Table of Contents
10 Best Oil Free Air Compressor
- Craftsman 6 Gallon Pancake Air Compressor
- Makita MAC210Q, Electric Air Compressor
- BOSTITCH 6 Gallon Pancake Air Compressor
- California Air Tools 8010 Air Compressor
- Stealth Ultra Quiet Air Compressor
- Porter-Cable 1.5 Gallon Air Compressor
- GX-E-CS2 Portable Air Compressor
- WEN 2289 10 Gallon Vertical Air Compressor
- Ford Silent Series 15 Gallon Air Compressor
- BILT Hard 8 Gallon Air Compressor
- Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
10 Best Oil Free Air Compressor
|Craftsman 6 Gallon Pancake Air Compressor||Prime||Buy Now|
|Makita MAC210Q, Electric Air Compressor||Prime||Buy Now|
|BOSTITCH 6 Gallon Pancake Air Compressor||Prime||Buy Now|
|California Air Tools 8010 Air Compressor||Prime||Buy Now|
|Stealth Ultra Quiet Air Compressor||Prime||Buy Now|
|Porter-Cable 1.5 Gallon Air Compressor||Prime||Buy Now|
|GX-E-CS2 Portable Air Compressor||Prime||Buy Now|
|WEN 2289 10 Gallon Vertical Air Compressor||Prime||Buy Now|
|Ford Silent Series 15 Gallon Air Compressor||Prime||Buy Now|
|BILT Hard 8 Gallon Air Compressor||Prime||Buy Now|
Our favorite oil free air compressor is the Craftsman 6 gallon pancake air compressor. As you would expect, this air compressor requires zero maintenance because it has an oil-free design.
It is also incredibly powerful with a 6 gallon capacity that allows a maximum PSI of 150 when you use it. But, the best thing about this air compressor is how quickly it is able to bounce back during use, with a very quick recovery.
The instructions aren’t that clear, but as long as you start it up with the valve closed, this is one of the best oil-free air compressors on the market.
- Zero Maintenance – This air compressor is made oil-free, so you will have a lot less maintenance and cleaning up to do when you use it.
- Quick Recovery – This air compressor has an output of 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI, so you know that it will bounce back quickly after use.
- Very Powerful – With a 6 gallon capacity, and a max PSI of 150, this air compressor is very powerful and able to do lots of different jobs.
- Poor Instructions – For quick use, the valve must be closed when you start the air compressor up, but this isn’t stated in the instructions.
You should also consider the Makita MAC210Q electric air compressor. Not only is this by a big-name brand, but it is also packed with wonderful features.
From its durable build with a roll-cage construction to protect it at all times, this air compressor is designed to last. But, even with a durable build, it is still very lightweight, which is why it is perfect for use on the go.
But, the best thing about this air compressor is how quiet it is, with an operating noise of just 60 decibels. So, it is clear to see why we love this air compressor so much.
- Low Operating Noise – This air compressor has one of the lowest operating noises out of the models we have looked at, at just 60 decibels.
- Lightweight Design – This air compressor is designed to be used on the go, so it has a lightweight design that is perfect for carrying around with you.
- Durable Build – It has a complete roll-cage construction to ensure that this air compressor is protected, no matter where you use it.
- Must be Stored Inside – This air compressor struggles at temperatures below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, so it should be stored inside.
Another great air compressor to consider is the BOSTITCH 6 gallon pancake air compressor.
The best thing about this air compressor is undoubtedly its maximized performance, which is enabled by its design. With a high flow regulator and additional couplers, this air compressor is able to perform unlike any other.
It is also highly efficient, and because of the design of its motor, it can be used in both cold and warm weather conditions. With all this, plus the fact that it is easy to portable, it is clear to see why this is such a great choice.
- Easily Portable – This air compressor is designed to be relatively low, with a carry handle which makes transporting it easy.
- Highly Efficient – The motor of this air compressor is designed to be highly efficient, allowing it to be used in both cold and warm weather conditions.
- Maximized Performance – It includes couplers and a high flow regulator which allows for maximum performance when paired with air tools.
- Sturdy Drain Valve – The drain valve on this air compressor is perhaps too sturdy because it is quite stiff to open at first.
You should also consider the California Air Tools 8010 air compressor. The best thing about this air compressor is that it is insanely powerful, with a maximum pressure of 120 PSI and a voltage of 110v/60Hz.
Just as you would expect, it is also very low maintenance because of its oil-free design. With this, plus the fact, the air compressor can be used in both extreme temperatures, and on uneven terrain.
So, if you are looking for an oil-free air compressor, this is one to look at.
- Powerful – With a voltage of 110v/60Hz, and a maximum pressure of 120 PSI, this is one of the more powerful air compressors that we have looked at.
- Low Maintenance – Its oil-free design and other components of its design ensures that this air compressor is very low maintenance.
- Versatile and Sturdy – This pump is designed so that it is able to be used in both extreme temperatures and uneven terrain, making it one of the more versatile options out there.
- No Hose Included – You will need to buy a hose to use with this air compressor as this, sadly, isn’t included in the kit.
Additionally, you should consider the Stealth Ultra Quiet air compressor.
This air compressor is perfect because it is incredibly quiet, with an operating noise of just 60 decibels. This makes it a great choice if you don’t want to upset your neighbors.
It also comes with cold weather start, which means that you can use this air compressor all-year around without having to worry about the weather affecting it. With this, plus its long life combined, it is obvious that this is one of the best options available.
- Ultra Quiet – With an operating noise of just 60 decibels, this air compressor is designed to be quieter than most on the market.
- Long Life – The careful design of this air compressor means that it is likely to last up to 3 times longer than any other air compressor.
- Cold Weather Start – It also has a cold weather start function and quick recovery time, so it is perfect for use all year around – no matter the weather.
- Not Easily Portable – While this air compressor is portable, it is not the lightest with a weight of 40-pounds, so it might be better for static use.
Another trust-worthy brand when it comes to power tools is Porter-Cable, and this air compressor by the brand is just as great.
With a very durable motor that requires absolutely zero maintenance, this air compressor can be used with both an extension cord and in cold weather.
It is also designed to hold more air to ensure that this air compressor does not overheat. It does all this while also being lightweight and portable, so this is definitely an option to consider.
- Lightweight – This air compressor weighs just 20 pounds, so it is the perfect choice if you need a portable air compressor that can pack a punch.
- Durable Motor – This motor requires zero maintenance, and has the ability to start in very cold weather or with an extension cord, which are things that some motors struggle with.
- Keeps Cool – This air compressor is designed to hold more air to ensure the compressor stays cool for longer run times.
- Accessories aren’t Great – The accessories included with this air compressor aren’t the best quality, so you might choose to buy new ones.
You should also consider the GX-E-CS2 portable air compressor. This air compressor is excellent because it allows for very fast-inflation with a power output of 250W.
It is also brilliant because it is very lightweight, weighing just under 7 kilograms, so you can easily carry it around when necessary.
But undoubtedly, the best thing about this air compressor is its ability to last, and this is because of its oil and water-free design. So, this is another choice to consider.
- Fast-Inflation – This air compressor can provide up to 250W of power, allowing you to inflate things incredibly quickly.
- Extremely Lightweight – With an overall weight of just 6.7 kilograms, this is a lightweight air compressor that is easily portable.
- Built to last – Designed to exclude both oil and water so that there is little maintenance on this air compressor, and hardly any risk of damage.
- It can overheat – This air compressor doesn’t use oil or water, so it is at risk of overheating if used for excessively long periods.
Additionally, you should think about the WEN 2289 10 gallon vertical air compressor.
On first impressions, this air compressor looks like it would be difficult to move around because of its large and heavy design. But this isn’t the case.
Although it is heavy, this air compressor comes with large 7-inch wheels and a strong handle that allows you to easily move it around when necessary. This complements its powerful design perfectly, and makes it one of the best options on the market.
- No Lubrication Necessary – This air compressor is designed so that it does not require any lubrication, this will extend its life.
- Built for Portability – It isn’t the lightest air compressor, but it comes with large 7-inch wheels and a sturdy handle for easy portability.
- Powerful Design – This air compressor has a maximum pressure of 150 PSI, allowing it to complete lots of tasks.
- Poor Restart – This air compressor does struggle to bounce back and has a poor recovery time.
For excellent performance, you should consider the Ford Silent Series 15 gallon air compressor. Thanks to its large capacity, this air compressor is incredibly powerful.
This is also due to the fact that it is designed with 2 pumps, which will prolong its life. Although it is heavy, this air compressor is easily portable because of the included mobility kit, which can be easily assembled and attached to the air compressor.
But the most surprising thing about this air compressor is how quiet it is, with an operating noise of just 59 dB. So, this is definitely one of the best oil-free air compressors on the market.
- Extremely quiet – This air compressor has one of the quietest operating noises that we have looked at, with just 59 dB operating noise.
- Dual Pump Design – Designed to use two pumps to prolong the life of this air compressor.
- Portable – It is heavy, but it is designed with a mobility kit, so you can move this air compressor around, despite its large weight.
- Requires Construction – Some parts of this air compressor will require you to construct them, so this might influence if it is the right choice for you.
Finally, you should consider the BILT hard 8 gallon air compressor. As you would expect, this air compressor is very powerful, with a maximum PSI of 150.
Additionally, it is a very convenient option because it requires absolutely zero maintenance and is ready to use for any task.
But the best thing about this air compressor is that it comes with an excellent one-year warranty, which will protect your purchase. So, this is another great option to consider.
- Powerful – This air compressor has a maximum PSI of 150, so it is great for lots of different tasks.
- Good Warranty – It comes with an excellent 1-year warranty to protect your purchase should anything go wrong.
- Very Convenient – Oil-free design makes this air compressor incredibly convenient to use as it is ready to go without any maintenance.
- Very Heavy – It does come with a kit to make it portable, but this air compressor still weighs a lot.
The air compressors that we have looked at above are some of the best oil-free options available. But, if you are still unsure, we’ve put together this handy buyer’s guide to help.
So, if you want to find out more about what to look for in an oil-free air compressor, keep on reading.
One of the key things that you want to consider for any type of air compressor is how portable it is.
If you are going to use your air compressor on the go, whether it be around the home or on a building site, portability is essential. Some air compressors will be easily portable because they have a lightweight design.
Others will be portable because they have wheels and a sturdy handle that allows you to pull the air compressor around. Either way, both of these features are essential to look for if you want a portable air compressor.
Generally speaking, one of the additional benefits of an oil-free air compressor over an oil-lubricated air compressor is that they last longer.
Oil-lubricated air compressors tend to take longer to bounce back after use, which is why some people prefer oil-free air compressors.
However, some oil-free air compressors will still perform better than others in terms of run time, so this is something to look at when making your choice.
Finally, you want to consider the durability of the air compressor. This is essential if you plan on using the air compressor for any heavy-duty tasks, or if you plan on carrying it around a lot.
It is important to look for an air compressor which has a durable motor, but also has a durable body, or additional components to protect it. So, you should look for these features when buying an oil-free air compressor.
Frequently Asked Questions
An oil free air compressor will generally last longer than a regular air compressor, simply because they require less maintenance.
So, you should expect a standard oil-free air compressor to have a life of around 200 hours, with higher-end units lasting upwards of 2,000 hours.
The primary advantage of an oil-free air compressor is that they are better for the environment. Burning oil isn’t good for the environment because it releases contaminants into the air, so an oil-free air compressor is much better.
They also have the added benefit of requiring a lot less maintenance than air compressors that use oil.
Oil-free air compressors are not lubricated in the same way that air compressors which use oil are. This is because oil free air compressors do not need to be regularly lubricated.
Instead, the air compressor is designed to be ready-lubricated, using a pre-lubricating material, such as Teflon.
Additional oil reading:
- Air Compressor Oil Capacity Guide – Air Compressor Oil Levels
- How to Change Air Compressor Oil – Guide to Replacing Compressor Oil
- Air Compressor Oil Types GUIDE – What Oil to Use in Air Compressor
- Air Compressor Oil Sight Glass – Oil Level Sight Glass Guide, Replacing & Reading
- Air Compressor Oil Related Issues – Oil Damage To Compressors
- Air Tool Oil Substitutes And Alternatives
- Air Compressor Oil Substitute – Alternatives Compared
- Oilless Air Compressors vs Oil Compressors – Differences Between Oil and Oil Free Air Compressors
- 10 Best Air Tool Oils
- How to Quiet An Oilless Air Compressor
- Air Over Oil – Air Over Hydraulic Cylinder Benefits & Uses
- Air Compressor Oil Breather / Crankcase Breather Cap Buying Guide
- Air Compressor Oil Separator Guide – Air Oil Separators & Oil Water Separators
- What Happens if an Air Compressor Runs Out of Oil?
- Air Comes Out of the Oil Fill Cap
- Compressor Has an Oil Issue
- Oil in compressor tank drain water
- Why air coming from our compressor has bad smell same as burned oil
- Why does oil come out of the oil fill tube?