Hey! This site is reader-supported and we earn commissions if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
20 CFM air compressors are popular sized air compressors due to their ability to operate heavier applications like air wrenches and framing nail guns.
This article will provide you with all the relevant information on 20 CFM air compressors, where you can purchase them and where you can hire them!
Table of Contents
- 20 CFM Air Compressors General Information & Specifications
- 20 CFM Air Compressor Accessories
- 20 CFM Air Compressors Readily Available on Amazon
- 20 CFM Air Compressors for Hire
20 CFM Air Compressors General Information & Specifications
20 CFM air compressors are generally classed as small industrial air stationary air compressors, though some people may pick them up and have them as large household stationary compressors.
They are large devices designed for placement in a shop or garage and offer high-horsepower and large storage tanks to allow for longer periods of uninterrupted use. They will typically have a vertical design that reduces the amount of floor space they require.
The CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating of a 20 CFM air compressor describes the volume of air the compressor can deliver at specific PSI (pounds per square inch) levels. The CFM value changes as PSI changes, the lower the PSI output, the higher the CFM output.
Compressors with higher CFM ratings are able to deliver more air and are suited to heavier applications. Hence why, a 20 CFM air compressor is capable of operating heavy applications like air wrenches and framing nail guns. For information on What Size Air Compressor Do I Need For Impact Wrench? please visit our guide!
Compressor manufacturers also rate compressor storage tank sizes in gallons. 20 CFM air compressors will typically have tank sizes around the 80-gallon mark, so that they’re able to provide the sustained air flow for their heavy applications.
Their horsepower (HP) rating will depict the power output of the engine or motor. The higher the HP of the motor, the greater the air pressure. The higher PSI means the compressor can store more air in its tank, which along with the CFM, will allow you to operate air tools for longer (depending on the compressors duty cycle).
With 20 CFM air compressors, you can typically expect to find air compressors with horsepower in the range of 5-7.5 HP.
In most cases, 20 CFM air compressors will primarily be oil-lubricated but it may also be possible to find oil-less ones in todays ever-growing market. An oil-less pump will reduce maintenance and doesn’t mix oil into the compressed air. Our page, Oilless Air Compressors vs. Oil Compressors will provide you with further information on this!
They tend to be, far more often than not, electrical compressors that are powered by being plugged into electric mains. Due to this, they will have an industrial design that protects the motor from voltage fluctuations. From the 20 CFM air compressor examples I will present further down this page, it appears that they’re available in both single-phase and two-phase designs.
If you wish to have greater than 20 CFM, you can look at the best ways to increase CFM on your air compressor here!
20 CFM Air Compressor Accessories
A wide array of accessories are available for 20 CFM air compressors. Some may be standard whilst others are dependent on your air quality requirements. Here’s a list of accessories you may need for a 20 CFM air compressor:
- pressure regulator – used to reduce and control the primary pressure in airflow
- airline filter – works to clean the compressed air of any particulates that are trapped within the air before reaching the regulator
- lubricator – adds lubricant to air tools to reduce friction of moving parts
- air dryer – works to reduce the amount of moisture in compressed air
- coolers – work to reduce the air temperature from compression stage
- hoses – to connect the compressor to the air tool
- tools – suitable tools that can be powered by the compressor
When it comes to filter, regulators and lubricators, it is possible to purchase them as a combination accessory for your 20 CFM air compressor. The F-R-L combination unit are used to keep the air flow in your air line at it’s optimum condition for the end use air tools. For more information visit our FRL guide!
Air dryers will inevitably prolong the life of your 20 CFM air compressors by reducing the amount of moisture in your compressed air. Too much moisture present will easily cause corrosion, rusting and contamination. They are available in different types, depending on your requirements, please visit our Compressed Air dryers Guide for more information!
When you generate compressed air, heat is an inevitable by-product. In order to cool the air back to near ambient temperature to increase their volumetric efficiency, heat exchangers are used. The heat exchangers (coolers) can either be water-cooled or air-cooled and two common options are intercoolers and aftercoolers.
Though most compressors will come with an air hose, you may wish to purchase your own hose that suits your required length, material and durability needs. Visit our Air Compressor Hose & Tube Guide for more information.
With an air hose, you may also wish to have a hose reel to coil the hose for better storage. Not only this, but having a hose reel will protect the hoses durability and lifespan which are both very important.
Due to the 20 CFM capabilities of the compressors presented below and their tank sizes, you should have little to no issues providing power to the majority of air tools including nails guns, blow guns, drills, sanders and paint sprayers.
20 CFM Air Compressors Readily Available on Amazon
I have picked out a number of air compressors available on Amazon that provide 20 CFM or close to.
The first is this Industrial Stationary EMAX Compressor. This 5 HP electric single phase compressor is capable of providing 18 CFM at 100 PSI. It’s a very reliable super quiet air system that is built to last. It’s 80 gallon tank and high CFM capabilities will provide the necessary air storage to be able to provide your heavier air tools with sufficient air.
Next up is this Industrial Air two stage 80 gallon air compressor capable of providing 22.1 CFM @ 90 PSI or 21.2 CFM @ 175 PSI. This compressor is expertly designed with a heavy-duty, 7.5 horsepower Baldor motor that operates on 230-volts.
This heavy duty Schulz 5HP 80 gallon compressor provides 20 CFM. The compressor is single phase and has a low RPM with balanced drive pulleys.
Finally, this Ingersoll Rand 7.5 HP 80 gallon two-stage compressor provides 24.3 CFM @ 90 PSI. It’s durable cast iron construction and long-lasting pump design allow for trouble-free use for over 15,000 hours. The compressor also boasts 100% duty cycle allowing you to deliver air to your heavy air tools for extended periods of use without the need to stop.
20 CFM Air Compressors for Hire
I have picked out some air compressor companies that will hire out 20 CFM air compressors to you in a number of areas. If your state is not listed here, do a google search and I’m sure you’ll be able to find a company near you!
AirNow Industrial Compression Services
10440 North Central Expressway
Dallas, Texas 75231
1943 4th Ave S
Seattle, WA 98134
Additional CFM reading:
- SCFM Vs ACFM Vs ICFM – What’s The Difference? Converting & Calculating
- Best Ways to Increase CFM On Air Compressors
- Connecting Two Air Compressors Together
- How to Calculate CFM of Air Compressors
- CFM Pipe Size Chart
- SCFM vs CFM for Air Tools & Air Compressors Guide to Compressor Ratings
- What Is CFM and What Does CFM Mean on An Air Compressor?
- Air Compressor Size For Spraying Stucco & Plaster
- Does a die grinder require low or high CFM?
- Speedaire 4B247 swapped with 2Z499 and its effect on CFM?
- Air Compressors That Produce 500 CFM And Above
- CFM SCFM PSI Compressor Flow Issues
- Ingersoll Rand Type 30 model 242 HP and CFM?
- CFM rating of Black Max compressor
What size air compressor:
- What Size Air Compressor Do I Need? How to Size An Air Compressor
- What Size Air Compressor Do I Need For Impact Wrench?
- What Size Air Compressor For Sander?
- What Size Air Compressor For Sandblasting?
- What Size Air Compressor For Framing Nailer?
- What Size Air Compressor For Air Hammer?
- What Size Air Compressor For Air Ratchet?
- What Size Air Compressor for Car Detailing?
- What Size Air Compressor for Truck Tires?
- What Size Air Compressor For Nail Gun
- What Size Air Compressor for Painting Cars?
- What Size Air Compressor Do I Need for Spray Painting?
- What Size Air Compressor For Staple Gun Or Upholstery Air Stapler?
- What Size Air Compressor For Sandblasting?
- What Size Air Compressor Do I Need For A Die Grinder?
If you have any questions regarding 20 CFM air compressors, please leave a comment below with a photo if applicable so that someone can help you!