Burned oil smell coming from air compressor with a new motor?
by eddie bantog
(epza rosario cavite philippines)
last time our compressor motor was burned (50hp) it takes a long time to change it almost 2 months, when we install the new motor, the air coming from compressor was very bad smell like burn oil
please help me…
Not knowing anything about the circumstances of the original motor failure or the make or model of your air compressor makes it difficult to try and help you figure out the problem.
The air coming out of the compressor has gone, I expect, into an air tank or other reservoirs in your compressed air system.
If those air reservoirs have not been emptied of water regularly, and if they have now sat for two months with no air moving through them, I would suspect you have a pretty good case of mold or bacteria growing in the tanks that is now being expelled downstream as you now start using the air.
Short term…? Install a line to the outside of the plant and run the compressor long enough to void all the tanks and lines of old air and try and blow out the contaminants.
Long term…? Depends on whether aggressively blowing out the air system works.
That’s already done
we think of it before…we disconnect compressor pipe from the tank, put new oil, cleaning oil separator,and running for almost an hour, but still the same…bad smell (burn oil) coming from the compressor…thanks for your reply…
Well then, I expect that you’ve got some piston seal issues, with oil wicking past the seals into the air flowing into the tank.
That’s the only way I can see that oil (and oil smell) can be getting into the air stream from the compressor to your air tools or equipment.
Additional oil reading:
- Air Compressor Oil Capacity Guide – Air Compressor Oil Levels
- How to Change Air Compressor Oil – Guide to Replacing Compressor Oil
- Air Compressor Oil Types GUIDE – What Oil to Use in Air Compressor
- Air Compressor Oil Sight Glass – Oil Level Sight Glass Guide, Replacing & Reading
- Air Compressor Oil Related Issues – Oil Damage To Compressors
- Air Tool Oil Substitutes And Alternatives
- Air Compressor Oil Substitute – Alternatives Compared
- Oilless Air Compressors vs Oil Compressors – Differences Between Oil and Oil Free Air Compressors
- 10 Best Air Tool Oils
- 10 Best Oil Free Air Compressors
- How to Quiet An Oilless Air Compressor
- Air Over Oil – Air Over Hydraulic Cylinder Benefits & Uses
- Air Compressor Oil Breather / Crankcase Breather Cap Buying Guide
- Air Compressor Oil Separator Guide – Air Oil Separators & Oil Water Separators
- What Happens if an Air Compressor Runs Out of Oil?
- Air Comes Out of the Oil Fill Cap
- Compressor Has an Oil Issue
- Oil in compressor tank drain water
- Why does oil come out of the oil fill tube?