Unable to get NPT bushing out of petcock valve...

by Steve

Peacock valve broke inside 2" NPT bushing. Unable to get NPT bushing out?

Was going to replace peacock valve for an easier access drain valve. Its a 80 gallon Sanborn upright. I tried to remove the bushing so I can tap or buy a new 2" bushing so I can put in new peacock valve.'The NPT 2 " bushing does not budge. Can I use heat? Of course the tank is empty.

Comments for Unable to get NPT bushing out of petcock valve...

Click here to add your own comments

Jul 02, 2018
Tap size for petcock valve
by: Doug in s.d.ca

More than likely that's 1/4 npt, but if it's really 3/8, you might try the HFT 69877 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 tap and die set. it's only 15 bucks, and returnable if you can't make it work. No handles, though...

Jul 02, 2018
Compressor petcock valve broke
by: Steve

I will try heat and pipe wrench.

I did try easy out, some of old valve came out but threads are shot...

The Tap and Die set I have, of course, does not have size of what I need. Looks like I will buy tap to fit for a 3/8 fitting if for some reason heat doesn't remove the 2" piece at bottom of compressor.

Jun 11, 2018
2" bushing
by: Doug in s.d.ca

Yeah,you can use heat. It's not like it's tempered or anything.

But wouldn't it be easier to just "easy out" the broken petcock shank? Or drill it out and tap to 3/8 or whatever is the next size?

Have fun...

Click here to add your own comments

Add your own question or comment. It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Sanborn Compressor Issues.