Plumbing a shop

I just bought my compressor 80 gallon 5hp 18cfm and I have questions on pluming it in my shop Im going to run a piece of steel braided from the compressor to the wall mount filter steel braided will hold the psi right?

then out of the filter with my inch and a quarter pipe down the wall will it hurt anything coming out of the filter and stepping it up to that size with adapters? My main concern is the stepping up and down to get it all hooked up any help would be great
Thank you

Bill says....

The stainless steel braid will handle the pressure you subject it to, if it is rated to do so. There are many different types. You need to ensure that the one you select has sufficient pressure rating.

There are no problems with going from a smaller air line to a larger air main. In fact, the larger air main then acts as a bit of reservoir for the air using equipment.

You want to make sure your main is installed with an angle away to a drop tee so you can drain it.

In fact, if you read all the pages to do with Plumbing on this site, you'll have all the info you need to install your air system correctly.



Comments for Plumbing a shop

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 17, 2011
drain valve
by: Anonymous

thanks for the help should the drain valve be at the start of the line or at the end of the line and the angle of the line should that be running up hill or down hill from the wall mount filter

The idea is that as air flows from the compressor, through the lines, to the application. As it flows, it cools. As it cools, it drops our water.

So, tile the main away from the source, put a drop line at the very end to catch all the water that runs down the main, and put an auto drain on the drop line so that it voids water automatically.

All of the other drops from the main should be teed off the top of the line, so the free water can't flow down to the tools.

You do want to read the pages on plumbing and on Water to get the complete picture. Compressors can generate a lot of water, depending on their size, the ambient temperature and humidity, and the amount of use.

Click here to add your own comments

Add your own question or comment. It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Plumbing a compressor question.

What air lines for compressed air?

by kevin
(farmingdale new york USA)

What type of hose can i use to run air lines through my shop? I have an computerized Ingersoll Rand that has a fairly large capacity, but I only have approximately 6-8 drops that are needed.

I previously only used black rubber hose from Grainger's but we are relocating and want to do the right thing.

Cost is a factor so i would like to do it myself.

I have heard of using black pipe, and PVC. I don't know if they will help with water build up.

Thanks for your help. -Kevin

Bill answers...

Hi Kevin...thanks for visiting, and welcome to all the folks in Farmingdale NY.

Pretty much everything you've asked about can be found on the pages of this website.

Maybe you might take a moment and start with this page about compressed air plumbing and then follow the links to more pages giving you the information you want for plumbing your shop.

To the best of my knowledge, PVC is NOT suitable for plumbing compressed air. The results of an improper installation could be deadly.

Here's information on Pressure drop.

You might want to read this page about Loop air systems too.

Once you've read the pages suggested, use the site map page to zero in on other pages to do with plumbing an air system.

Likely though, the fastest and least expensive way to plumb your shop is to use rubber air hose. Copper (in my opinion) would be best, I'd not use PVC, galvanized or black pipe ever, and if copper is too expensive, that leaves air hose.

If you do plumb with air hose, watch for leaks. Leaking compressed air from poorly connected fittings can translate into thousands of dollars in wasted energy cost over the life of a system.



Click here to post comments

Add your own question or comment. It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Plumbing a compressor question.