About Us    Contact Us

Info on a 1978 Sears-DeVilbiss-Doerr air compressor

Published Categorized as Uncategorized 13 Comments on Info on a 1978 Sears-DeVilbiss-Doerr air compressor

I recently inherited what appears to be a 1978 Sears/DeVilbiss/Doerr air compressor.

by J.W. Wooten
(Bulverde, Texas US)

The pump, a vertical, apparently single cylinder type is mounted on what appears to be a 15 to 20 gallon horizontal tank.

After visiting several DeVilbiss websites, I determined that in the location they give for the Model number of the pump, there is no stamp nor any plate. There is a smooth area there, at the base of the pump on the side away from the pulley, as though a Model Stamp could have been put there, but there is not one.

There is no Model number anywhere around the base of the pump where the pump mounts to the plate on top of the tank.

The tank itself has a chrome metal plate with the following information stamped on it. –

DeVilbiss, 150 psi @ 350 degrees F, max temp and pressure.

MFGS No. 000082101978.

On the opposite end of the tank from the pump, there is an electric motor with a Doerr name plate and the following: –
2 HP, 3450 RPM, 230 Volts, Motor Ref. R604935H783.

There is a plastic belt and pulley shroud which has a faded sears name.

The compressor runs good (we initially had an air leakage problem with the pressure regulator, but by simply adjusting it, the unit will kick off at 125 lbs and keep me at an operating pressure above 100 lbs.

I am remodeling an old farmhouse (alone) so I don’t make exceptional demand of the unit.

My problem stems from the drive belt which is extremely frayed and just about to part. It is an unusual belt and the pulleys on the compressor and motor are likewise unique (at least to me). The belt is 49 1/2″ long and 1/2″ wide. It is flat on the back with grooves and ridges rather than a V or double V shape. There are five grooves and six ridges that mesh into five grooves and six ridges on the pump and motor pulleys.

The pulleys are flat faced as well except for these grooves and corresponding ridges.

The color paint scheme of the tank, pump and motor is black. I suppose it is possible that I could simply exchange the pump and motor pulleys for conventional “V” shapes and purchase a corresponding belt. However, I’d first like to see if I can find a replacement belt. Any information or help will be greatly appreciated.


Grooved belt source
by: Anonymous

grainger has several of the grooved belts.


Belt type
by: Woodworker

Sir: I looks to me like you have a serpentine belt on your compressor. Just like the ones on the newer cars and trucks. But they are usually about 1 inch wide.

I have an old sears paint compressor and it has the same belt. Not sure of the length. I know most auto parts stores sell the replacement belts for cars and trucks, I’d check there first.
Good luck

New comment? New question? Please add it here along with photos to help others help you with your compressor and equipment problem!

By Bill Wade

About Air Compressors has been helping folks with their Air Compressor Problems since 2002 online. We're a community of DIY and Compressed Air professionals who are keen to support everyone across the globe with their air compressor issues and troubleshooting. Whether you're trying to identify an old air compressor, or troubleshoot an error code on a sophisticated new industrial air compressor - the community at About-Air-Compressors.com is here to help you

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments