A common problem often found on Husky air compressors is them not being able to stay running. This article will provide you with all the possible reasons as to why your Husky air compressor won’t stay running, along with existing reader questions and responses related to the issue.
To learn more about Husky air compressors, visit our brand page here!
Table of Contents
Reasons Husky Air Compressor Won’t Stay Running
It’s possible you might have to face an issue with your Husky air compressor not staying running, where the power light is on, and it might seem like the air compressor is on. But, the Husky air compressor will not be working and there will be no pressure in the air compressor. This is a simple error that might be caused due to some sort of electrical problem. Therefore, you should:
- Check all the wiring. Once you have figured out all the wiring issues, if there are any, and have ensured that the plug is in properly, you will need to press the reset button on your air compressor and hopefully, that will solve the problem for you. Otherwise, continue to the next point.
- Remove compressor from extension cord if it is using one, as they tend to have insufficient power, therefore, your Husky air compressor won’t stay running. If you must use an extension cord, make sure it is made just for this kind of application.
- Check for an air leak, an oil leak, or a broken part. In some cases, you might have insufficient pressurization or airflow because of these.
- Check the run capacitor, if it is failing during running after the start capacitor gets the compressor going. If this keeps tripping, causing the motor to shut off, you will likely need to replace the run capacitor.
- Check for signs of the compressor overheating, meaning that the thermal overload is tripping and the compressor is shut down to protect the motor, allowing it time to cool down. Visit our Air Compressor Reset Button Always Trips – Air Compressor Keeps Tripping Overload guide for more information!
Reader Questions & Responses
Husky Air Compressor Will Not Stay Running – Husky Compressor Troubleshooting
As soon as I turn it on it shuts off or freezes up so I turn it off and back on and it shuts off in a span of 2 sec. husky 5.5hp 26 gal oil less
Unplug it. Drain the tank to zero PSI. Close the tank drain. Power it back up. Tell us as a comment what happens, please?
When it shuts off, is the pressure switch tripping?
As you test, put your ear down near the switch or watch the toggle if it has one. It should make a sound or move.
What do you mean when you say “or freezes up”? It stops, I guess, but then what? More details, please.
If you have any questions regarding Husky air compressors not staying running, please leave a comment below, with a photo if applicable, so that someone can help you!