Changing coupler on compressor discharge

by Mike Oldrey
(Calgary, Canada)

I bought an air chisel and compressor with sufficient CFM (2.5 hp delivers 4.2 cfm at 90 psi) for the chisel.

Chisel requires a 3/8 connector so I bought the connector and 3/8 hose.

The compressor discharge coupling is 1/4.

Can I change the compressor discharge coupling to 3/8 or would it be better to get a fitting to do the transition. I would rather change the compressor discharge from the current Universal (U) type fitting to an Industrial (I/M) fitting.

Comments for Changing coupler on compressor discharge

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 04, 2018
Discharge coupling
by: Bill

The short answer is yes, there is no problem in changing to a larger coupling.

There is no long answer, though if you read the pages linked from the Sitemap page that have to do with couplers, connectors and fittings, there will be more than ample info for you there.

Click here to add your own comments

Add your own question or comment. It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Compressed Air Fitting Question.