1/4 pipe thread connection

by rick
(nova scotia)

trying to install a regulator to the second line off my compressor. all the fittings before the line are 3/8. after the TEE 1/4 pipe thread to both hoses. i know there is a name for them but i seriously cant remember it. the regulator will be situated so that it cannot turn..... tank... compressor bkt..... etc... all in the way.

i know there is a pipe fitting that fits both ends... gets tightened and then, gets joined together, but i cant remember the name of it. and the last time i used one, was much bigger... dont even know if they exist in 1/4 pipe.

i have to thread 1/4 pipe to the fitting ...tight.... then 1/4 fitting to the regulator... tight... then join them together without turning either one... please????... what is the name of this fitting... cant remember.... really sucks getting old

Comments for 1/4 pipe thread connection

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 30, 2016
by: Doug in s.d.ca


Please copy and paste the link - is this not what you are looking for? It's 1/4 inch pipe union in iron - about 18 dollars U.S.

Or maybe you're wanting a compression coupling? Doesn't sound like it if you want threaded.

Sep 22, 2016
by: Bill

Rick, no offense about the CRAFT thing. When you said "i know there is a name for them but i seriously cant remember it.", I thought that is what you meant.

If I'm understanding correctly, when trying to reassemble you've got a clearance issue and you cannot turn the nut on the union to tighten it?

Having had a similar problem rebuilding one in the past, I acquired a nipple long enough to reach past the interference and then reassembled outside of the interference area.

Since I cannot see your compressor or where you have the issue, could a long nipple work?

Sep 21, 2016
still need a fitting
by: rick

i am well aware that it is called a union. there is a specific name for one that threads into both pipe thread fittings (female) independently. and then gets joined together. this is what i have to have. after the pipe thread fittings are threaded, they must be joined together but cannot turn in order to do it.

Sep 21, 2016
Fitting name
by: Bill

Hi Rick. No worries about CRAFT. I've got it too!

(Can't Remember A Freakin' Thing)

What you are looking for is a union.

You may have to add an adapter to size the union to fit the pipe.

Click here to add your own comments

Add your own question or comment. It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Compressed Air Fitting Question.