T-30 cycling issue

by Brian
(Western CT)

T-30 info plate

T-30 info plate

T-30 info plate
T-30 information plate
T-30 compressor

First, thanks for this forum. So much great information. As it goes I'm having a problem. I've done some research and it appears to be a check valve, but since I've had zero experience with large compressors I figured I'd put it up and see what you all think.

My t-30 starts regularly with zero issues.

Occasionally as it fills there's a knocking noise but it settles after a while. I can bring it up to 150 and it holds fine, start working and everything's great.

Here's where the problem is, if it starts running down to around 110 psi it acts like it's going to start up. The motor hums and the wheels jerk, the belts will start slipping but the unit won't kick on to build pressure. If I continue to run it the breaker will trip. If I let it run down to under 100 say 90PSI and manually turn it back on it will start and build pressure no problem.

There appears to be a nut on the center pipe running to the tank that has a hole in it to relieve pressure. Air will occasionally blow out of there where the unit is almost full or when it won't start during a cycle.

Any suggestions?

If it's a check valve, where would I find that in the unit?

Can anyone direct me how to lower the pressure to have it cycle, say to 95? That would alleviate the immediate issue and allow me to get to it later (which would be great considering everything I've got going on).

Thank you in advance!

Brian

Attached pics for reference.

Comments for T-30 cycling issue

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 05, 2017
T-30 cycling
by: Doug in s.d.ca.

First off, if it's the check valve, it probably won't maintain tank pressure over time.

That said, the check valve is *supposed* to be at the tank end of the the outlet tube. It appears yours has been replaced with iron pipes and a union coming off the small cylinder (the high pressure cylinder). Can't tell where your check valve actually is. Should be in that pipe, somewhere.

Can you explain/describe where this hole is?

Click here to add your own comments

Add your own question or comment. It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ingersoll Rand T-30 Air Compressor Issues.