Craftsman 3 gallon 1 1/2 H.P. compressor blows fuses & circuit breakers. Loud hum from unit.

by Fred
(Tewksbury, MA)

Craftsman 3 gallon 1 1/2 H.P. compressor keeps blowing fuses and/or circuit breakers.

Loud hum emits from compressor for about 30 seconds before
shutting down.
Unit is only 6 years old . At $109.95 is it it worth
replacing or can it be repaired? Thanks

__________________________
Bill says...

The hum you refer to suggests to me that the motor is trying to start, is pulling amps from the circuit to get enough power, can't, and pulls more than the circuit can provide and pops the breaker.

If this were my compressor I would have an electric motor rebuilder do a motor load and capacitor function check. I suspect, from what you say, that might be the problem.

Since I have no idea what this process will cost you, I really can't comment on the "is it worth it" issue.

Cheers,

Bill

Comments for Craftsman 3 gallon 1 1/2 H.P. compressor blows fuses & circuit breakers. Loud hum from unit.

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 03, 2011
Craftman Compressor
by: Fred

Thanks Bill.

Your responce was more helpful than you can imagine.

Guess I'll just replace the unit rather than
try to get the unit repaired.

Thanks Again Fred

Click here to add your own comments

Add your own question or comment. It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Craftsman Compressor Issues.

Craftsman compressor motor will not start. The motor will hum and trips the breaker.

by Bob
(Iowa)

My 20+ year old compressor (919.176730) often will not start. The motor will hum and trips the breaker.

My first guess was to replace the start and run capacitors. This did not help.

I can hear the pressure release valve working when the compressor cycles out.

If I tip the motor up to take slack off the drive belt, the motor will begin running about 25% of the time. The other 75% it hums and will not start.

It's been plugged into a heavy 8' extention cord for a couple of years without any problems. Just to be sure I moved the compressor so I could plug it directly into an outlet (20 amp). The problem still exists.

Valve OK, new capacitors and no issues with improper power supply. This little compressor has been with me for a long time and grown very attached to it and would like to keep it going.

Any sugesstions? I'm leaning towards a new motor, which is very expensive.

Thanks in advance!

_____________________
Bill says...

Well Bob, I think you are leaning in the right direction.

If it were me with your air compressor symptoms, I think it would be 'failed motor' that answers to the question of what's not working on my compressor.

Yes, they are expensive. Sorry.

Bill

Click here to post comments

Add your own question or comment. It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Craftsman Compressor Issues.